Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Now That's Funked Up

In 1975 I was stationed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. I arrived there on August 9, 1974 and left around June 20, 1975. My commanding officer was Capt. Whaley. Redstone had a few nicknames, Redstone Resthome being one of them. The Sergeant Major had been on base for a long time. Many (19) years and should have been transferred many times but he obviously knew someone in Personnel. Don't remember his name, but he did not like women in his military and he did not help my authority issues.

Redstone was an advanced training facility and I was studying how to repair the guidance system on four missiles at the time. Lance, Tow, Dragon and Shilleagh. What a weird name. Anyway, I got promoted early because of my high grades in class. I was 18 and extremely bored, so I partied. Heavily. One afternoon I come back from lunch in an altered state and they march us off to a class on the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I don't remember much because Capt. Whaley droned on and on, but I do remember this. RESPECT.
Salon.com - War Room: "s the New York Times reports this morning, the Army investigation comes amid complaints from the Council on American-Islamic Relations. Army spokesman Paul Boyce tells the Times that soldiers who posted images of dead Iraqis at Now That's Fucked Up may be guilty of violating the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which prohibits conduct unbecoming an officer or enlisted soldier. Another Pentagon official told the Times that posting photos to the site could be viewed as a violation of the Geneva Conventions, which provide that 'the remains of persons who have died for reasons related to occupation ... shall be respected.' "

Respect for yourself (sunburn can be punished for damaging government property), the uniform and some segment on how to treat prisoners of war. Pretty specific about the treatment we should give and receive. The Vietnam War wasn't officially over and we were missing people. Respect. Don't sink to subhuman levels. Everyone has a mother, father, sister, brother or child. They have feelings just like us.

And then there was the example my generation had to go by. I loved that show. They must have brought up the Geneva Convention every week. It's pretty sad that a comedy set in a stalag during one of the darkest times the world had ever known had better ethics, morals and principles than the people who are currently serving in "defense" of this nation.

I realize that I have authority issues, but what I find hard to believe is how widespread this is and how few have spoken out in protest. Unless, this is what happens when you speak out.

Shock the Monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment