Saturday, December 31, 2005

I Hope So

I started reading this article and thought "how cool, they are finally getting around to noticing what my friends and I have been saying for years." We are not our mother's 50. And there is that baby boomer thing which means that there are quite a few of us.
ABC News: Is 50 the New 30?: "n 2005, women over 40 won about two to three magazine covers a month compared to one a month in 2004. Demi Moore, 43, is featured in Versace ads and Sharon Stone fronts the Dior campaign. The reason? Older consumers want more and companies are trying to meet their demands.

Companies are trying to take advantage of every trend, said consumer research expert, Marshall Cohen.

'Companies have recognized these consumers are frustrated with how come this brand doesn't talk to me,' said Cohen. 'How come they don't speak my language? Why are they only talking to the younger generation?'

The famous women who front ad campaigns and grace the covers of magazines merely reflect what is going on in society, experts say. Older women are no longer pushed to the sidelines. More and more people find them sexy.

Women like Demi Moore are marrying younger men. Her second husband, actor Ashton Kutcher, is 15 years her junior. Others like Sarah Jessica Parker, who is 40 and the mother of a two-year-old, are giving birth at an older age.

It might help that cosmetic surgery has become more popular and accepted. Since 1997 procedures ranging from botox to breast augmentation have increased by 465 percent."
I take issue with the last paragraph. Not only have I ever had any type of plastic surgery, I don't even wear makup and people regularly underestimate my age by 7 to 15 years. I always win a toy at the carnival. This was a perfectly well written article that for some reason departed into snark land at the last minute.

And they talk about bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment