Monday, January 30, 2006

How About A West Coast Tour?

Starting in San Francisco would be nice. I can think of at least two tickets that would be sold.
CNN.com - Lez Zeppelin: A band that�flips the Page - Jan 30, 2006: "The New York-based quartet came together almost three years ago with the express purpose of covering songs by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members Led Zeppelin.

They're among a small but growing number of all-female tribute bands Spin Magazine recently referred to as 'Chicks with Picks,' and include the playfully dubbed AC/DShe, Cheap Chick and The Ramonas.

'It wasn't like we decided just to do an all-girl cover band for the sake of it,' Paynes said in an interview. 'It was strictly me lounging on the couch, listening to a Led Zep album and being in absolute ecstasy over the music. I can't think of anything I'd rather be playing than this.'

Zeppelin's brash amalgam of hard-driving rock, traditional blues and guitar-tinged ballads propelled the sale of millions of albums and made them one of the top bands of the 1970s. It disbanded in 1980 after the death of drummer John Bonham."
One of those moments I remember exactly where I was. Three of us had been planning to stand in line for tickets, rotating shifts as needed. I only wanted to see two big bands live. I am short and once everyone stands up it just becomes a really bad record where the words are changed. I ended up with an absolutely killer (hellow NSA,FBI, you know who) seat for Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl, but my seat for Page/Plant was a little lacking, to say nothing of the lousy acoustics at the San Diego Convention Center. Reverb city.

It would be really nice to hear a tribute band that is considered to be good. Now, if I could only get those David Gilmour tickets for Easter weekend. I'm willing to compromise on the seats. I'll find some binoculars and an expandable stepstool.

No comments:

Post a Comment