Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sign Me Up!

I hate flying. I've heard all the rational explanations how planes are supposed to stay in the air, I still have issues. I don't seem to have as much trouble believing in a transporter or space travel.

SPACE.com -- New Mexico Spaceport: Getting Down To Business
The New Mexico spaceport is to be environmentally friendly in consideration of the local surroundings, featuring an eye looking up into space, Branson said. "As you look down at it from space, seeing this giant eye in the middle of the desert….maybe I’m over exaggerating it…but I think it could be one of the wonders of the world as viewed from above. It’ll be pretty spectacular."

Branson said that, as spaceports mature, spaceships jumping point-to-point between them "would be a lovely thing to be able to do…and we’d very much support that as an idea."

The deal struck between Virgin Galactic and New Mexico hastens the day of affordable space trips for more and more of the general public – a lowering of Virgin Galactic’s $200,000 seat price of today, Branson advised. "I think that all helps make it possible…in the not too distant future."

Branson admited that the venture "is odd ball in that this is completely unexplored territory," but he noted, running safe public transportation--be it Virgin’s flying of airplanes, or its train company--is something they have a track record in doing. "We are used to transporting millions of people…transporting them safely. And we want to keep that impeccable record so," Branson explained. "We know what our priorities are."

Yes, and mine is to vacation on another planet before I die. Other than money if there is anything I can do to help...

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment