Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's Been A Movie Week

I'm in pretend mode this week, the news is more like propaganda and I need a vacation. I hadn't been to the movie theatre in a long time, so on Saturday I went and saw Cars. Not a kids movie, they were bored, irritable and crying. The cars were very expressive but they were adult themes and the little ones just didn't get it plus it was too long. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Last night I went to see a preview of The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Surprisingly good. It was captivating if you don't pay attention to the time paradoxes. When I first looked at the description I thought it was going to be like Somewhere In Time. It was, but only in regards to how you really root for the characters. Even the guys in the audience who were there under duress (the guy next to me hadn't been in a theatre for 12 years) enjoyed it. It was one of those free screenings and I wasn't going to go and then I saw that Shohreh Agdashloo was in it and off to the theatre I went. That name should ring a bell to die hard 24 fans. Now if I could just find Behrooz and Yusuf (sniff, sniff). Anyway, she was great as always and the rest of the movie held up until the end. I admit I had figured out most of the plot by the half way point but it was still pleasant to watch it unfold, the characters had real feelings and the the plot resolved itself nicely as long as you aren't paying attention to the paradox, which nobody but me was.

How good was it actually? Well I was the last one to get a seat, it felt like musical chairs and was waay too stressful, which was in the front row. I spent the movie with my head tilted in a very uncomfortable position and really didn't notice it because the movie was that good. I didn't check the time and nobody else around me did either. I would give this movie 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I have a free ticket that I have to use before July 6 and Superman Returns won't be allowing free passes by then, I wonder what I should see instead. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment