Monday, June 05, 2006

Personal IED's

Yes, we have another psychiatric disorder to explain rude behavior.
Study says millions have 'rage' disorder - Yahoo! News: "CHICAGO - To you, that angry, horn-blasting tailgater is suffering from road rage. But doctors have another name for it — intermittent explosive disorder — and a new study suggests it is far more common than they realized, affecting up to 16 million Americans.

'People think it's bad behavior and that you just need an attitude adjustment, but what they don't know ... is that there's a biology and cognitive science to this,' said Dr. Emil Coccaro, chairman of psychiatry at the University of Chicago's medical school.

Road rage, temper outbursts that involve throwing or breaking objects and even spousal abuse can sometimes be attributed to the disorder, though not everyone who does those things is afflicted.

By definition, intermittent explosive disorder involves multiple outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation. These angry outbursts often include threats or aggressive actions and property damage. The disorder typically first appears in adolescence; in the study, the average age of onset was 14.


About 5 percent to 7 percent of the nationally representative sample had had the disorder, which would equal up to 16 million Americans. That is higher than better-known mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, Coccaro said.

The average number of lifetime attacks per person was 43, resulting in $1,359 in property damage per person. About 4 percent had suffered recent attacks"
43 attacks and it cost less than $1400 and you call it a disorder. How about there is such a lack of manners that people can't help losing their temper? After having been cutoff on the freeway repeatedly, people jump in front of you in the grocery line, your boss is messing with you because he can and the news is depressing you, of course you are going to lose your temper. Probably on a frequent basis. Not a surprise in this day and age. But, if you can get help what do you care what they call it. Drugs will make it easy for you not to care that you aren't being treated with respect. It won't change the basic situation but it will make it easier to deal with.

In Chinese medicine we have several formulas for this rather well known disorder. One is known as Rambling Powder or Xiao Yao Wan and for when you really want to explode there is Calm Dragon otherwise known as Chai hu jia long gu mu li tang. I like Calm Dragon, it works great and can also be used as an adjunct to those people who have decided that they no longer wish to take antidepressants and are being weaned off slowly.

You should never just stop taking an antidepressant, it should be monitored by your doctor. You also should never take herbs that aren't prescribed to you since everyone is an individual and you should have an acupuncturist (the only people licensed to practice herbology in CA) evaluate you and determine which formula or combination would be in your best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment