Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wednesday Wanderings

Gas is $4 a gallon in San Jose and I can't afford to fill up my car. In 1987 I owned a Honda Civc CRX that got 44 mpg in the city and almost 50 mpg on the highway. I drove that car into the ground and when I got my next Civic in 2001 it got 34 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. The car I have now is from 1994 and only gets 18 mpg no matter where I drive it, so it sits a lot. Why is 31 mpg in 2015 considered to be such a great thing by the federal government that they feel that they can sneakily try to eliminate California's more stringent rules? Cars should be getting over 50 mpg by that time because it already takes seven hours of work at minimum wage (leaving twenty three hours a week from your part time job at Wal-Mart to pay the rent, utilities and food) to fill up a fifteen gallon gas tank. Since gas is likely to be $5 a gallon by the end of the summer the only conclusion I can draw is that the profits of the automobile and oil companies are more important than breathing clean air or the welfare of the lowly citizen.

I made Emeril's Chicken Sauce Piquante last night. It was easy and it rocked. Good eats.

The Brandywine and Green Zebras have flowering buds but the Early Girls, Ace and Jetsetter varieties seem to be lagging. I love heirloom tomatoes. The grape tomatoes are just starting to peek their leaves above ground. I still need to get a Purple Cherokee and some type of green beans into the ground to go along with the early cabbage and serrano peppers. Whatever I grow I don't have to buy.

The sky is falling. On homeowners. And she who voted for the draconian bankruptcy bill has just noticed. Over 47 thousand foreclosures in California in the first quarter of the year with no end in sight. Wheee! Fun times ahead.

No wonder they're known as the fly over states. It's too dangerous to drive through them.

Today's version of thirty pieces of silver.

Of course it is, that's why I call them the crew without a clue. If they can botch something by not planning, they do.

Yes, it will. Couch potatoes are not the way of the future, at least not for long.

BBB

No comments:

Post a Comment