Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Random Musings

Eight years into the war in Afghanistan and all we have to show for it is that we are stuck in another land war in Asia.  Osama bin Laden hasn't been accounted for, our troops are dying at the highest rates (more have died from March to now than in the first three years) since the war started and the Taliban are freely reimposing harsh penalties on Afghani citizens for participating in democracy.  Next thing you know, they'll be talking to a Sicilian.

Eight years in and the military in Afghanistan have very few hi tech hospitals.  How can this crap still be happening?  I understand about going to war with the army you have, but shouldn't the army have weapons, armor and decent medical care by now?  70 minutes to get to a decent hospital after you've been involved in a roadside bombing doesn't sound very efficient.  Or lifesaving.

Science doesn't seem to be a big thing in Texas.  If the fire marshal had training instead of strutting around like Fire Marshal Bill, Cameron Todd Willingham might have been exonerated instead of spending the next thirteen years before he was put to death trying to get people to believe he was innocent.  Just because he wasn't an angel doesn't mean he was a devil.  Further prof that the death penalty process is barbaric and an in your face example of cruel and inhuman treatment.  Even more so if you're innocent.

Do you ever think about what you're thinking about?  I know I'm strange and I've known for a long time.  I'm not autistic but it would be a good bet that my baby brother and I have more than a touch of Asperger's.  As a small example I really don't like bright lights or loud noises.  During my last year of school I wore sunglasses and a hat (at night) because I couldn't take the fluorescent lights anymore.  And the hum was a constant that grated on my nerves.  As a child I could spend hours watching the dust motes in the light or follow patterns in the ceiling and I still do.  As an adult I catch myself doing long division when I'm not actively paying attention to something else.  And now there is an application that will let me expand my mathematics skill, such as it may be.  Now if only I could convince myself that washing dishes was a repetitive action that I enjoyed...

Rest in peace Senator Kennedy.  Thank you for all you did and I hope that there will be someone who can take up the liberal torch.  Not liberal by the conservative standard, but liberal in the truest sense of the word.

BBB

No comments:

Post a Comment