Friday, November 04, 2005

Rooney, Drudge and the Truth

I still like Andy and I have to agree with him. When I was a little girl Negro was a big step up compared to being colored. I personally cannot stand the term "African American". Blacks, people of color, whatever is currently in fashion helped to found this country and were among the first to die for this country. The English descendants aren't called "English Americans" they are white or caucasian. People need to get a grip here and focus on somethiing besides a label. I believe (and hope) that if you asked most Americans about Martin Luther King, Jr they would say he was a great man, not a great, black man.
CBSNews.com: Blog: "I guess the implication is that Rooney made some controversial or politically-incorrect comments about race. While it’s not beyond Rooney’s candor and style to do that, I think this exchange is far more benign than what Drudge would have you think. The discussion began as host Don Imus was referencing a frequent guest, Congressman Harold Ford Jr. (D-TN) and noted that Ford is African-American. Here’s the transcript


Rooney: “I object every time I hear the words ‘African-American,’ you know? I don’t know why we have gotten caught with that.”

Imus: “Yeah, I don’t either.”

Rooney: “I mean, am I an ‘Irish-American?’”

Imus: “What should I say, just ‘black’ right?”

Rooney: “Well, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ‘black.’ Growing up, it’s funny how words get to be opprobrious. The word ‘negro,’ perfectly good word. It’s a strong word and a good word. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Mostly it’s not necessary to identify anyone by skin color. But I don’t care for ‘African-American.’”

Imus: “I won’t use it anymore.”"
I never use it. Drudge likes to report as little of an incident as possible so he can influence people who only read headlines and watch infotainment and consider themselves informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment