Thursday, February 02, 2006

Canine Canoodling

Why would I want to date my dog? I already live with her, she loves me, accepts me as I am and prefers that I don't brush my teeth with minty toothpaste before she kisses me. I would love to be able to read her mind though, make sure I'm doing a good job and meeting all her needs.
ABC News: Would You Date Your Dog?: "When it came to meeting women, 58 percent of men surveyed said a puppy was a foolproof babe magnet in the park (only 25 percent said a baby was better). Forty-six percent of women said they'd stop and talk to anyone with a cute puppy.
One of the reasons I got Shai Shai was to meet people. Meet them all the time, all they want to talk about is how cute she is. Oh well, she is cute.
When it comes to dating dog lovers, make sure their dog is a match, too. Sixty-six percent of dog owners said they wouldn't even consider dating someone who didn't like their dog. But don't like the dog too much — 14 percent admitted they might continue dating someone they didn't like that much just to spend time with their dog.

If you plan to date and have a dog, be prepared for some conflicts. The survey found that one in seven dog owners (15 percent) said that their significant other had become jealous of their relationship with their dog.
Shai gets jealous. She played sick during a dinner date, made herself the center of attention and I was so worried I took her to the vet. My date said that in his next life he wanted to come back as my dog, not a dog, my dog.
Reasons for the jealousy included: 'Because I dedicate so much time to my pet' (43 percent); 'The dog likes me better' (33 percent); 'I prefer to cuddle with my dog rather than my mate at night' (12 percent); and, 'Things have been tense ever since I did more for the dog's birthday than my significant other' (3 percent).

When it comes to walking down the aisle, dog owners have a special bond. The survey found that 18 percent said they either had included (or would include) their dog in their wedding ceremony. That trend is likely to continue, as those under 30 are 17 percent more likely than those 60 and older to say 'I do' with their dog by their side (27 percent to 10 percent).

And what a cozy honeymoon that would make for — 21 percent of dog owners said their pet regularly slept in bed with them, with women more likely than men to allow the practice (25 percent to 16 percent). Forty-four percent of both men and women admitted their dogs got more room in bed than they did."
Freakin 20 pound dog takes up more bed space than my old 6'2" boyfriend. Snores louder too.

I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment