Thursday, February 02, 2006

Don't Do As I Say

Years ago I was inside a bank that got held up. I had noticed something weird going on with the tellers and while I was at the counter my teller says "good, they got him". I look outside and there is a black man prone on the ground with rifles pointing at his head while he is being handcuffed. At the same moment both entrances burst open and the SWAT team rushes in. One points his rifle at me and screams "freeze" from the other door the swat guy has his weapon pointed at me also and says "step back from the counter". I froze. Don't even think my eyes were moving and I definitely was holding my breath. Then I hear the manager running through the bank screaming, "no, no, she's a customer". I have been mugged, I have been on a midnight blackout drive in the army where my captain misread the map and we ended up on a field that started tank practice with live rounds. Not as scared as I was with LAPD yelling different commands at me at once. Did I mention I was the only other black person in the bank?
Deputy's Gunfire Looks Like a Crime to Some - Los Angeles Times: "
The shooting, which occurred on a residential street in Chino, was recorded by a bystander and shows Carrion crouching on the ground telling the deputy that he was 'on your side' and meant him 'no harm.'

At one point, a voice on the recording appears to say 'stay on the ground.' Seconds later, however, the deputy appears to tell Carrion: 'Get up, get up.' As Carrion rises, the deputy, who is standing several feet away, shoots him three times.

Carrion remains hospitalized in good condition.

Carrion was the passenger in a blue Corvette that had led the deputy on a brief high-speed chase Sunday night. The chase ended when the driver crashed into a fence on a residential street. Neither Carrion nor the driver had any weapons, sheriff's officials said.

On Tuesday, the U.S. attorney's office said a federal civil rights probe of the shooting had been opened.

A separate investigation is being conducted by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

On Wednesday, county Dist. Atty. Michael Ramos said in a statement that 'we fully expect the investigation to be both thorough and comprehensive.' Once the sheriff's investigation is finished, Ramos said, his prosecutors will decide whether to bring charges against the deputy."
Like that's going to happen. They will find something to justify it, he'll take retirement and everyone hopes the story is replaced with a missing blonde woman. On the other hand, he did shoot a brother officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment