Sunday, June 25, 2006

Proud To Be An American

Our country has changed so much that that statement is no longer true. America no longer exists. For a supposed superpower it is shameful that representatives of a third world country feel pity for us and our lack of progress in rebuilding New Orleans.

It is shameful that doctors let themselves be corrupted into condoning and enabling torture. You know it's bad when conservatives start to write articles condemning the practice.

It is shameful that politicians feel that they can call for forced labor camps in the USA. That used to be the province of a certain female Asian American ultra right wing conservative blogger.

It is shameful that Veterans data was stolen and people still don't have an idea how to fix it.

It is shameful that it has taken this long for someone to notice that our children are missing something, even though excess time, money and effort have been lavished on them. This is a well-written article and excerpt from a forthcoming book which confirms what I have been telling certain parents and children for years. I used to treat a few teenagers and their biggest complaint about their parents was how they never got to make their own mistakes. How every aspect of their lives was decided for them.

Using the dual spectres of kidnapping and child molesters, parents have reduced the ability of their children to have fun for funs sake. One mother told me "I don't know why I bought him a bike since the only place he can ride it is at the park and I don't have time to take him." The kid was 13. At 13 I was babysitting for cash, went to the store on errands and was responsible for my brothers until my parents came home. I read books that weren't on the school reading list and I enjoyed them. When my parents were considering divorce we kids never knew it. They had their lives and we had ours. And almost every other family was the same. We all survived.

My dad used to say "if all your friends jump off a cliff are you going to jump to?" and I would answer, "why would I". First of all, none of my friends were that dumb, and second, he taught me to think for myself. He trusted me not to do anything stupid that would cost me my life or limb. My parents always knew where I was because they had brought me up to tell the truth and to check in when I changed locations. This was waay before the invention of the cell phone. And even though I tend to be a hermit, I would never describe my childhood as empty.

Kids need attention, they don't need scheduling.

No comments:

Post a Comment