Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Wednesday Bites

This sounds so good, I am going to have to find a place that serves this in San Jose. I love soba and this sounds just as good. Nice and cool during all this heat. Mom will love this too. She likes noodles and she likes soup, this will be just one more culinary adventure.

I heard about this in the seventies, fiber is your friend. You just have to remember to chew thoroughly and to increase your liquid intake. We like to say that you should drink your food and chew your liquids. It reduces the chances of choking and relieves indigestion, especially for those people with hiatal hernias. The more work you let the mechanical part of the digestive system perform, the less acid the stomach has to secrete to digest large chunks.

Cool food is okay, cold food and drink are considered to be rude to the digestive system. If the normal operating temperature is a little over 98 degrees, why would it work better in a colder environment? The reason for the refrigerator is to prevent bacteria growth and extend the shelf life, not to chill your salad so you can lose weight. Humans heated their food long before they learned to chill it.

This is a really cool site if you have broadband and don't mind registering. A different barbecue video every week with useful information and tips. Have I mentioned how much I love my Weber lately? They changed their site since I last linked.

What to eat, what to eat. It seems that moral and ethical dilemmas abound. For a country that reads labels and then eats bad food anyway, some people with money (and really good grocery stores) are paralyzed with indecision between organic, locally grown, work issues and any other neurotic thing they can think of. Plastic or paper? Paper. I can use it to start my barbecue.

Zucchini. They grill up nice, right along with the other squashes and eggplant for a quick vegetable side. Up until now I didn't realize their rich history.

More grilling stuff of the simple variety. I never thought about cooking mussels on the grill. Something new and different to try.

It's that time of year again. The Gilroy Garlic Festival is coming up next weekend. I have a specific routine that I follow. I try and arrive Sunday morning by 10:15 at the latest. I head straight over to the garlic ice cream, nothing like messing with your brain and tastebuds first thing in the a.m. Then I go to the escargot stand. This is probably my favorite stand food. Good price for all those tasty snails. The mushrooms aren't bad either. Then I get whatever excuse for beer they have (it's hot!) and go pick up my cookbook. I don't know why, I've never cooked one of the recipes but I have the last six years worth of recipes. Then it's off to see whatever is in the booths which takes me about 20-30 minutes. I watch the guys cook in the big tent and I'm out of the fair by 12:15, just when it gets hot and the people who are intent on drinking arrive.

It's pepper time! Oh yeah, I love spicy, just not as much as I used to. When I was in acupuncture school my teachers used to nod knowingly every time I said how much I enjoyed it. I enjoy a much more varied diet in the five flavor department as I've grown older.

Which includes sweet. I like a little bit of cinnamon and raw sugar in mine. Not too sweet and served with homemade whipped cream.

Oh well, enough avoidance. Have to go check on the state of the world, the radio is making it sound just as bad as yesterday.

Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment