Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom!

Mom is 76 years old today. She was born in Germany in 1930, became an American in 1958 (proudest day of her life) and still goes to work four days a week. Betty Boop is also 76.

You share the day with Sam Elliott (actor), Pamela Travers (Mary Poppins creator), Doug Williams (quarterback), Ken Norton (boxer), Melanie Griffith and Whitney Houston (divas).

Mom's favorite food is sushi, but she is working today so I can't take her out for dinner, even if I could afford it. I'm hoping something nice happens to her today, since I'm falling down on my end.

Speaking of food, I love the flavor of lemongrass. It seems I'm not the only one. I will definitely try this chicken recipe.

Simply Recipes
is a wonderful site, with recipes, equipment and shopping information. It is well written and easy on the eyes.

So far all I have growing is basil, which is a good thing since I also have six little tomatoes in the garden and they should be ripe shortly. I would like to have more herbs in the garden, the flavor they impart to food is phenomenal.

If Shai and I are ever in town, we will be sure to hit this place up. One black pug should get a little more notice amongst those yellow labs. Dogs have to eat too.

I like to make this salad with green apple and cabbage. They add roughage, crunch and vitamins. You can also vary the flavors of the dressing to suit your tastebuds. Salty, sweet, sour, spicy. Accentuate whichever one you want.

I still have a little German vinegar in the cupboard, maybe I will make German potato salad to accompany dinner tonight. A nice jaegerschnitzel will be a change from the asian meals I have been making lately. I might have to wait for cooler weather. We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment