Friday, September 07, 2007

Goodbye Madeleine

Madeleine L'Engle, the woman responsible for me reading almost every book in the junior adult section of the Vandenberg Library when I was twelve, has died at the age of 88. When we moved from Ramey AFB in Puerto Rico to Vandenberg AFB in California, my teacher was halfway through reading this great book. Unfortunately I didn't know the name of either the book or the author but I remembered the characters. So I read every book until I found them again. A Wrinkle In Time will always be a favorite of mine, Meg and Charles Wallace will always be my heroes and Mrs. Who, Mrs. What and Mrs. Which will remain in my memories fondly.

Rest in peace Madeleine, thank you for the wonderful journeys that you introduced me to and for focusing my youth on science fiction. I will always be grateful. You will definitely be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment