Sunday, July 16, 2006

Go Mikey, Go

I went to high school with Mike and David Weinstein. They were consecutive Senior class presidents. The last time I saw the two of them was at our 20 year reunion. It was a combined affair between the class of 1973 and 1974. When he wants something done, it gets done.
Marching as to War: "Ambassadors for Christ in uniform. To Weinstein, who is both a Jew and a member of a military family, it is an abomination. It 'evokes the Crusades.' He says he can't believe that generals talk like this when the United States is fighting a global war on terror and trying to win hearts and minds in Muslim countries.

He starts to get riled up -- waving his arms, quoting the Constitution, saying 'the Christian right wants people to think that separation of church and state is a myth, like Bigfoot.' And then he pauses, something he does not do often.

'Let me make it clear. I would shed my last drop of blood to defend their right to hold that biblical worldview. They are absolutely entitled to believe that Anne Frank is burning in hell along with Dr. Seuss, Gandhi and Einstein,' he says. 'But I will not accept my government telling me who are the children of the greater God and who are the children of the lesser God. That's the difference. I will not defend -- I will fight them tooth and nail, and lay down a withering field of fire and leave sucking chest wounds -- if they engage the machinery of the state, which is what they're doing.'"
Best of luck to you Mike. I agree with you. When I was in, the clergy treated us all equally. This country has changed and it isn't for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment