Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Knotted Knickers



Okay, I'm pretty liberal, I admit it. I'm also a health care professional and passionate about my personal space. What I'm not, is dictatorial. It seems that no matter which side you're on, they can both go off the deep end. While I may like Santa Cruz because they have a really cool breakfast restaurant that lets me bring my dog, they occasionally go off the deep end and today was no exception.
As a result of the supervisors' decision, visitors will not be allowed to possess, use or dispose of cigarettes, pipes, chew or any other tobacco products on park property. Those caught with tobacco will be asked to hand it over or leave the premises, and could be fined $92 and charged with a misdemeanor.
I don't smoke and I don't appreciate smelling the crap, but perfume bothers me even more. Cigarettes have never sent me to the emergency room, unlike perfume. Stuff feels like it's coating my lungs and I feel like I'm drowning but nobody thinks that's worth a fine. Whatever.

Prince Charles joined the supervisors in the deep end of the fantasy pool with his pronouncement that McDonald's should be banned. I don't think it qualifies as food either, but it is not my responsibility to restrict what people buy to eat. Or drink. Education, not legislation, is the key. Exercise wouldn't hurt either. Using his logic, every fast food place and convenience store would have to banned and that isn't going to happen. For a variety of reasons. $$$$

Dental care. For those who have it, they have no idea what it's like not to be able to avail yourself of capable help. To those on a limited income; rent, food, utilities, transportation and clothing are the expenses that you do your best to take care of in a timely manner. Vision and dental? Not unless it is an emergency and then, it can be too late. Pennywise and pound foolish. As usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment