Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tuesday Twitterings

Is it time for the annual pot is bad for you series? I'm not saying that early drug use doesn't affect a growing brain, because it does, but probably a lot less than the ADHD and prescribed psychotropics that their classmates take on a daily basis. If you are going to try and blame marijuana for these kid's problems, perhaps USA Today should have used better examples than the child of parents who suffered from their own addictions and a girl with an alcohol problem who also smoked some pot. I guess my parents paid a little more attention to how I conducted my life when I was a young teen. There is no way I would have had the unaccounted time to become inebriated on a regular basis.

Did I mention that I got the pink slip to my car? No more payments, what a relief. I'm never doing that again. I hope. Of course, just like clockwork, a maintenance light came on. Actually, it is the SRS light. I researched it and found out that Honda's seem to have a problem that shows up at around 100K and can be fixed with a speaker harness and resetting the light. Whatever.

Meanwhile, the WSJ can't bring itself to say that Bush has addressed the wealth gap in his new "budget". By increasing it. A 30% cut in social service block grants. Well, that will help prepare the little kids for college so they can use that new Pell grant. Not. The insurance proposal is so far out there, it might as well be scheduled to go to Mars.

Eliminating a student loan program that helped people go to vocational and trade schools is short sighted and foolish, but not a surprise from the crew without a clue. Automotive and computer technicians, or medical and dental assistants just aren't important in a world where your every need is taken care of by people you don't pay attention to. Then you cut money for the police and for poor people to heat their homes and poof! just like magic, the budget is balanced. On the backs of people who can't fight back. They don't even try to hide their disdain for the non-donating citizens of this county.

Spending more money on the military sounds like a good thing until you realize that it isn't going to support the troops, just more equipment that is useless in the war on terror. Shock and awe aren't going to make a difference, while intelligence and understanding the enemy, would. That's a little too intellectual for the present administration which prefers to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, hoping to get a different result. There's a term for that, isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment