Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fun Times At Costco

I made the weekly trek to Costco, mom was out of both beer and cigarettes, plus we needed eggs and Kleenex. On the way in I noticed some of those little kids with the roller skating shoes that the Dark Wraith loves so much and was tempted to try and roll over one of them but there were too many witnesses.

One of the things that has made shopping tolerable is my iPod. They call me Happy Feet at Cosentino's because I am always rocking out to something. So, I'm dodging the lookieloos and the grazers and get mom's Becks first. They have it stacked so high that it's ergonomically incorrect to try and get the beer down. Fortunately for me there was a case that I could reach without feeling like I wasn't playing Jenga. I put the case safely in the cart and rolled over to check out the brandy and cognac prices. I cook with both of them and wanted to see what kind of deal I could get. I turned around and my cart was gone. Nowhere to be found. Somebody else must have decided that it was too dangerous to take Becks from the stack. Grrr!

I go get another cart and this time have to take the case from the top of the stack. Fortunately, I didn't hurt either my back or my neck. I tried out the Habanero Chicken Burgers (not spicy to me but mom wouldn't like them), grabbed the spinach and mushrooms for dinner (Salisbury Steak, mashed potatoes and creamed without flour spinach), got the eggs, half and half, Kleenex and organic tomatoes, made a beeline for the cigarettes and then looked at the lines. They were all seven to eight people deep but one on the far end had a guy who was pre-scanning. I worked my way over there and about two minutes later he starts scanning my stuff. He gets to the beer and says "may I see your ID please?" I pulled off one of my earphones and said "what?" He repeated his request and since he wasn't kidding, I whipped out the drivers license, the one that says I was born in 1956 and cheerfully, and I mean very cheerfully, waved it in front of his face. I'm fifty one and I got carded. I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Now I'm going to get my AARP card so I can enjoy that experience, in reverse, for several more years to come.

3Bs

No comments:

Post a Comment